Friday, October 21, 2011

The Small Things Count

In so many cases in any relationship the small things count. In a discussion I had I realized just that. The simple hug, the simple phone call on the way home to ask "I'm on my way home. What's for dinner?" or even the simple "Honey can you pick up some milk on the way home?"

In a short distance relationship, it is hard to remember to do these little things. It is hard to see those little things, and understand the importance to you. They are just the every day things that you do for one another.

In a long distance relationship, you start to crave these little things. A kiss on the lips, and the cuddle in bed. The simple brush of the bangs and kiss on the nose telling you it's gonna be OK. You are now seeing the importance to you.

Being in the long distance relationship I am in I find that by nature alone I do this. I text him saying "Yay! On my way home!" But there is no bitter sweet end to this, because when I open the door he is not there. It is quiet. I realize once again, he is only on my phone, or the internet, or my game of choice.

They say that you don't realize you had/have a good thing until it is taken from you. I am seeing this, and it has taken a lot to get used to. However I am adjusting slowly. I count the days... diligently.

Mind you a long distance relationship is a lot about patience, and communication. And both of us have this and a whole lot of trust. I just know that we have to remember the little things. Internet hugs, phone kisses, the text at 3 in the morning saying that you were thinking about them, and even the heartfelt email with a small poem in it when you can't sleep. It is those small things that keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment